French Onion Soup
- 5 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter for cooking
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- A packet of beef stock & 1 beef stock cube (organic) added to 1/2 litre of water or add 2 beef stock cubes (organic) to 1 litre of water.
- Crust white bread or toast – cut into croutons to float
- Whole grain mustard – spoon on to croutons
- Gruyere cheese or similar
Add the onions, garlic, thyme & seasoning into a plan with a splash of olive oil (or butter). Stir and cook on a low heat, stirring for 15 minutes until the onions soften but do not burn. Add the 1 litre of beef stock to the caramelised onions and slowly cook for 10 minutes, then add the bread croutons with mustard and cheese on them. Place the bowl under a grill for a few minutes until the cheese on the croutons has melted.